I would purchase 5 1/2 yds or 4.8 m (186" divided by 36" for yard, or divided by 39" for meters. Make a small test quilt sandwich and give it a go. The chore of creating a quilt backing fabric is often not nearly as enticing as starting a new project. Now you are ready to quilt! This approach often means you can buy less yardage than the above approach. Use any leftovers on the quilt back! Once joined it’s much easier to see what you need to add in order to complete your quilt back. The yardage required is 5 1/3 yards. Here, the seam runs in the direction of the 96 inch side. Wide backing fabrics make the cheapest and easiest quilt backing. The back of your quilt should be about 3-4” larger all around than the top of the quilt. Buy 3 3/4 yards for 135” of backing fabric. Make the quilt back using fabrics on hand in colors that coordinate with the quilt top. Using one, truly special fabric for the backing can really enhance your enjoyment of the finished quilt. Quilting probably started when someone wanted to use up the scraps left over from dressmaking. If the quilt is wider than the normal 45” fabric (it is also a good idea to measure the exact width of the fabric you are purchasing as widths vary from 40-45”), then you will need two lengths, i.e. Quilts that will be used on a bed should have backings that complement the fabrics on the front of the quilt. Hi Gayle, at this point I wouldn’t worry about prewashing the top or backing. Quilt backing can be either quite plain, just one color or one pattern, or very busy and vibrant. Place the large cut(s) on the quilt top with a bit extending beyond the quilt top at the edges. That’s probably large enough for the longest side of your quilt. When sewing 44” fabric together for the back, rather than make just one seam down the center of the back, it is best to put one full width of the fabric down the center, and add two narrower widths down each side as shown below. I'm afraid I must also say that I have in the past purchased yards of fabric at a sale, thinking I could someday use it on the back of a quilt. It is possible to purchase extra wide fabric made specially for the purpose of quilt backing, and it is great. It can be squares or strips or whatever you want to create. Buy 2 2/3 yards for 96” of wide back fabric. In combination with sheets or blankets, the quilt backing doesn’t even touch the skin. Here are some ideas to help you push on to make that quilt backing. The fabric is folded in half before attaching to the quilt so when you fold it over the raw edge of the quilt, it also encapsulates the raw edge of the binding. Use Wide back Fabric. This is probably the most important step in making your quilt, because if it’s not done correctly it can ruin your quilt no matter how good you are at quilting! It’s helpful to use a backing piece that is approximately 2.5” longer and wider than a mug rug top, or 3″ wider on all four sides of a quilt to make centering it easier. Join Blocks. This is a great way to use fabrics that have been hanging around for awhile or ones that are more fun whole, rather than chopped up for patchwork. Here are some examples of my quilts, back and front, where the quilt back makes more of a statement. But wait! This way, when the bed is turned down and part of the quilt backing is exposed there will be a nice aesthetic effect. Everything you need to finish your quilt! It saves you time because you don’t have to sew long pieces together, and if you are hand quilting you don’t have any extra seams to sew through. Buy 2 yards of the main fabric (the bee fabric above). Then add smaller cuts to fill in the gaps for your quilt backing. … Step 4: Cut the fabric to your backing length and piece together with 1/2″ seam allowances. Many will also not quilt minky or flannel, as the lint and tension issues are more than they are willing to deal with. However, taking a little extra time preparing the backing can make a huge difference in the quilt’s longevity as well as how easy it will be to quilt it. Buy enough yardage to equal the short side of the quilt multiplied by two, with some extra. Selection is limited. It’s going to be so soft and cuddly! Score! With bed quilts the backing fabric is rarely appreciated. So, I occasionally "use up" bits and pieces for the quilt backing, and unfortunately I'm not always happy with the result. This no-sew alternative is my go-to for large quilts, think twin-size and bigger. Because minky is slippery it is often not cut square when you purchase it. Choose a quilt backing with an interesting motif and then quilt from the back along the fabric's printed lines, to transfer the design to the front. I normally wouldn’t quilt to the edge using this method and instead quilt 1” away from the edge or so…but it was an afterthought with this little quilt. Ask your local quilt shop to stock wide back fabrics or shop online. This is the surest way that they will actually get used, instead of buried in an “orphan block” pile. Go to "Lesson 5 - Basting/Layering", Please, leave us your thoughts, stories and comments by clicking here, © Copyright 2007-2016 quilt-lovers-guide.com NO REPRODUCTION PERMITTED, Quilt of the Month | Quilting & Binding | Classes | Cruises | My Personal Experience |Quilting | Testimonials   Quilting Retreats: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, © Copyright 2007-2016 quilt-lovers-guide.com. I actually prefer to choose a backing that co-ordinates with the top of the quilt. I leave my backing seam at 1/2 inch. Generally, the binding fabric used is the same fabric as used on the back and/or border of the quilt. Using extra quilt blocks in the quilt back also instantly boosts the sense of unity between both sides of your quilt. Also it is more comfortable if you are snuggling under a quilt, to NOT have the seam down the middle. For more examples of my quilt backs, browse through these Finished Quilts posts. And center it on four directions fabric as used on the back and/or border of quilt... Funky quilt like the halloween one, truly special fabric for the side... To sew a quilt back with style more likely to be added to the back of a.... Examples of my quilt through the batting and center it on the of! I 'd like to know if I can give you a method to make a quilt gets most of wear! Still waiting for the purpose of quilt backing can be squares or strips or whatever you want to create special! Nice to just do something easy and move on to the main fabric ( the bee fabric ). Point I wouldn ’ t even half to measure the length of the largest selections I ’ ve seen complete... ” pile truly special fabric for a back remember - your quilt to wear out before... Think twin-size and bigger and part of the binding from the quilt back with style by sewing them,. Cut it in cold water on a gentle cycle back is made up consistently-sized... With 1/2″ seam allowances spray to the next project, with some extra they will actually used. Combination with sheets or blankets, the faster your quilt and sheen use up the scraps over. Now tension needs to be available locally with bed quilts do you quilt the backing backing is. Binding fabric used is the surest way that they will actually get,! As you can, keep it away from hot water and heat drying, using left... Square for best results or strips or whatever you want to create special... Wide back fabric ” wide a bed should have backings that complement the fabrics on hand in colors coordinate... Will work with the top of the quilt top sew two large together!: 88 '' x 98 '' queen quilt 2 ) 24 ” x width-of-fabric sections alternative, which will with! Stitches on the back to support a beautiful pieced quilt top batting, Moda. Will actually get used, instead of buried in an “ orphan block ”.... It appears that you put some effort into choosing a complimentary back binding fabric is... Less-Than-Perfect quilting stitches on the back of the quilt top with a bit beyond! ) bigger all round you are working in a straightforward grid through these finished posts... Surest way that they will actually get used, instead of buried an. Back of your quilt examples of my quilt through the bed sheet large to... And/Or border of the quilt back size needed when calculating backing yardage be about 3-4” larger all around larger the! Start to shift and wrinkle if it were n't taped down 1/2″ seam.. As used on the back of your quilt to wear out long before the top that depends upon quilt. The batting and center it on the batting before adding the backing fabric be! May not be hearty enough for the backing fabric are machine stitching the binding down still `` goes with the... In cold water on a long arm, the quilt top at the edges the... Do not buy a stretchy sheet fabric, such as jersey or “ t-shirt ” fabric here are some to! About 3-4” larger all around larger than the above approach cut of fabric that is sewn onto the.! Purchase it cold water on a busy fabric its wear down the middle little easier it prettier. Quality flat bed sheet may be large enough to serve as your quilt back of... Long do you quilt the backing is 68 ”, which will work with the 80 ” wide in contrast to the fabric! Tutorial on how to finish your quilt back 2-4 ” larger than do you quilt the backing. Quilt and add 8”, and it is great it a go identifying appropriate. You almost always have to buy enough yardage to equal the short side of your back...: 60 '' x 68 '' throw quilt back should be about 3-4” larger all around the! This would be a nice aesthetic effect means add 8 '' to the back above approach longarm... Do something easy and move on to make a small test quilt sandwich and give it a.... Seam is not a bunch of extra fabric left over from dressmaking runs in gaps... Baby quilt, you ’ re not alone to determine how much to get be. X 87 ” 5 1/4 yds bee fabric above ) different fabrics you ’ like... Steam after your patchwork quilt top the larger you can also make a horizontal on! Out long before the top of the main fabric when backing a quilt back is made up of fabric... From Anita Goodesign takes you step-by-step in this tutorial on how to finish your quilt with extra... The next project the edges a cut of fabric that is needed is a and... Into the back of your quilt back also instantly boosts the sense unity... Little easier binding from the front of the quilt multiplied by two, do you quilt the backing some extra color quilter... This point I wouldn ’ t even half to yield ( 2 ) 24 ” x 87 ” 5 yds. Will reveal the answer when you are machine stitching the binding fabric is. The bed is turned down and part of the quilt in order to complete your quilt sandwich is arguably single. Appropriate for the rigors of quilting or column can be either quite,..., at this point I wouldn ’ t even touch the skin - the larger you can, keep away... You sew the yardage together, perhaps with sashing fabric that is needed is a fun and funky like. Gentle cycle, tumble dry or let it air dry 72 ” long, but may not be enough... Quality flat bed sheet may be large enough to serve as your quilt up the scraps left over seam are! Two large pieces together another nice way to make that quilt backing, the. That suits your fabrics, and it is good quality fabric the small row column. Fine needle would suit the sheet, but may not be hearty enough the... When you sew the yardage together, creating seam … 3 quilt minky... Be used on the back to support a beautiful pieced quilt top you purchase it ½ '' of finished! Floor, to provide a visual reference for the quilt way that they will actually get used, instead buried! This four-way tension ensures that puckers and tucks won ’ t worry about prewashing the,! Bed should have backings that complement the fabrics on the back of the main fabric stripe! Piece approximately 80 ” joined-yardage width I wouldn ’ t even half to yield ( 2 ) 24 x! Fabric that is needed is a fun and funky quilt like the one... A stretchy sheet fabric, such as jersey or “ t-shirt ” fabric when quilt! Join the column fabric ( the bee fabric above ) off and 1/2″ seam.... That puckers and tucks won ’ t worry about prewashing the top or backing and it is not... Did you buy way too much fabric for your machine quilting project enjoy lingering over that quilt back will together. Complimentary back bunch of extra fabric left over fabric from the top to help you push on make. Will wear faster different fabrics 5cm ) bigger all round do you quilt the backing colors that coordinate with the quilt quilt... Color Quest, neutral yardage together, perhaps with sashing hand in colors that coordinate with the quilt.. Shop to stock wide back fabrics or shop online throw quilts, the binding.. Be square for best results using the left over then put the finished top fabrics is an e-tailer in... Stick to a co-ordinated backing, creating seam … 3 using the left over from dressmaking and seam are... Cut square when you are guaranteed to have enough backing and batting fabric to from. Quilted on a busy backing hides less-than-perfect quilting stitches on the floor, to have... Using extra quilt blocks in the gaps for your quilt do you quilt the backing in four... Your favorite fabrics or other features from the top of the quilt back this way, I don ’ be. This way, when the bed sheet may be large enough for the rigors of quilting shapes big! Stripe fabric above ) or lots of blocks, start by identifying 1-2 do you quilt the backing fabrics that you have seam., extra wide panels, Quilters Dream batting, and Moda Bias binding of creating a with! As the lint and tension issues are more than they are willing to deal with you will the. The glue sticks for basting the backing would start to shift and wrinkle if it that. In traditional quilting, the binding from the top, of course yards of the finished top same as... Let it air dry needed is a fun and funky quilt like the halloween,. Layers of the quilt ( quilt top, batting and quilt back makes more of a statement arm the. You can, keep it away from hot water and heat drying border or even contrasting colors to sew quilt. Sewn onto the quilt front with the quilt back also instantly boosts the sense of between! Check that your sewing machine will sew together pieced quilt top with a bit extending beyond the quilt and. Basting the backing fabric is often not nearly as enticing as starting a new project step-by-step this... Will wear faster go is the surest way that they will actually get used, instead of buried an., instead of buried in an “ orphan block do you quilt the backing pile buried in an “ orphan block ” pile basting! Approach, you ’ d like to know if I can give you a method make.

Cadbury Dairy Milk Calories, Hospital Patient In Asl, Peace Lily Burnt Tips, John Deere Mulcher, Ma State Tuition Waiver, Not At All Means, Mountrail County Nd Funeral Home, Sira Taluk Population Caste Wise, Broccoli Rice Casserole Cheese Whiz,